Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Rosemary Maggi Steak

This is a recipe that my dad used to make for us all the time. I've cooked it for a number of people who have all asked me for the recipe. Well, here it is! I understand that a lot of people disagree with marinading/salting steaks prior to cooking. Personally, I think it's a tradeoff. If you salt during/after cooking, your steaks will be juicier, but have less flavour. If you salt before cooking, your steak might be slightly less juicy, but the flavours really permeate the steak. I believe in salting as you go. Salt brings out a lot of natural flavours in food that you just can't achieve with salting at the end.

Maggi sauce is a Swiss ingredient that resembles a strong soy sauce in taste without actually containing soy. It is quite a popular condiment in Asia.

Ingredients:
2 New York striploins
1 teaspoon of granulated garlic
1 teaspoon of seasoning salt
1.5 teaspoon of fresh rosemary (or dried, up to you)
3 teaspoons of Maggi sauce

Method:
1. Marinade the steaks on both sides with all of the listed ingredients above.
2. Allow the meat to marinade for 30 minutes.
3. Pan sear the steaks (always on high) to your liking. I personally think that steak tastes best at medium-rare.

No comments:

Post a Comment